Well, we tried.
Saturday night was date night. A real one, with a babysitter for all three kids. It was the first time that we would leave BabyGirl, too. Funny how much more quickly I am willing to leave our third child than our first. I was feeling a little guilt about that until I realized why. With our first, it hadn't been that long since we'd been alone. When he was 3 months old it had only been 3 months since our last date night. Now our first child is almost 5 years old. Which means we've been going for quite a while on very few date nights! That did a bit to ease my guilty mind.
Anyway, I had everything ready to go and felt pretty good about going. Claire is not a fussy baby and pretty much eat, sleeps and smiles for me. She has had a few fussy times here and there but not bad at all! As we were leaving it was Sam who put up the most fuss about us leaving (which is usual for him). We decided to go sit on the patio at Pier 500 which overlooks the river. It was a beautiful fall night. We started with apps and a warm drink and it was delightful. We enjoyed the food, conversation and the view. As we finished up our food we headed to get dessert at Agave Kitchen, just a short walk away. I thought I'd check in and see how the kids were doing. The text said Claire was crying. Wouldn't eat, wouldn't sleep. I gave our sitter some pointers and we decided to go ahead with our 2nd course. Another text, Claire wouldn't settle. She still didn't want to eat or sleep, just wanted to cry. So I asked the server to cancel our dessert because we had to get home to our crying baby. With a look of sympathy and understanding, she ran the check quickly and away we went. Destination: home.
Wouldn't you know, just as we're getting ready to pull into the driveway I get a text saying that Claire fell asleep. Yay! It was like being the gift of time. We decided to take the little fishing boat out. Bri got the boat ready and got us in the water. I had a nice warm cup of tea in hand, he had a fishing pole.
It was a lovely ten minutes.
The next text said Claire woke and was crying, again. Bri cast a few more times (didn't want to go home skunked!) and after catching a small crappie, we loaded up and went home. He dropped me off and into the house I went to my beautiful, high-maintenance children. Claire still crying, Sam asking if we got him a toy, and Caleb...well he was just fine for the moment.
So it didn't go how I hoped it would go. Probably went more like I thought it would go. Either way, I'm glad we gave it a go, if even just for a short time, so I could enjoy the man that gave me those beautiful, high-maintenance children.
Anyway, I had everything ready to go and felt pretty good about going. Claire is not a fussy baby and pretty much eat, sleeps and smiles for me. She has had a few fussy times here and there but not bad at all! As we were leaving it was Sam who put up the most fuss about us leaving (which is usual for him). We decided to go sit on the patio at Pier 500 which overlooks the river. It was a beautiful fall night. We started with apps and a warm drink and it was delightful. We enjoyed the food, conversation and the view. As we finished up our food we headed to get dessert at Agave Kitchen, just a short walk away. I thought I'd check in and see how the kids were doing. The text said Claire was crying. Wouldn't eat, wouldn't sleep. I gave our sitter some pointers and we decided to go ahead with our 2nd course. Another text, Claire wouldn't settle. She still didn't want to eat or sleep, just wanted to cry. So I asked the server to cancel our dessert because we had to get home to our crying baby. With a look of sympathy and understanding, she ran the check quickly and away we went. Destination: home.
Wouldn't you know, just as we're getting ready to pull into the driveway I get a text saying that Claire fell asleep. Yay! It was like being the gift of time. We decided to take the little fishing boat out. Bri got the boat ready and got us in the water. I had a nice warm cup of tea in hand, he had a fishing pole.
It was a lovely ten minutes.
The next text said Claire woke and was crying, again. Bri cast a few more times (didn't want to go home skunked!) and after catching a small crappie, we loaded up and went home. He dropped me off and into the house I went to my beautiful, high-maintenance children. Claire still crying, Sam asking if we got him a toy, and Caleb...well he was just fine for the moment.
So it didn't go how I hoped it would go. Probably went more like I thought it would go. Either way, I'm glad we gave it a go, if even just for a short time, so I could enjoy the man that gave me those beautiful, high-maintenance children.
Comments
Post a Comment