GooGoo, GaGa: The Universal Language

I was at Trader Joes's today (love that store!) and had BabyGirl with me. They have the smallest shopping carts ever so when we go, I put her in the sling since her carseat won't fit. I was standing at one end of an aisle, perusing the dried fruit when I heard a couple oohs and ahhs and looked up to see the ENTIRE aisle looking at us! I'm not talking one or two people, more like 6 or 7. Needless to say, they weren't captivated by me. BG was just hanging out in her sling with darndest little smile on her face. A smile like this one...irresistible!
One couple walked up to us, started talking and claimed her for their new grandson (who's 2 weeks old). They were delightful; we said our goodbyes and continued on. The next gal just did the melty eyes at Claire, followed by another lady who asked her name and said she was beautiful. As we were leaving the aisle a girl about 3 or 4 years old told me she was having a new baby, too, and quickly pulled her mom's shirt back to reveal the baby bump.

Funny, isn't it, that in this world where people don't talk to strangers, or even friends sometimes, that a baby gives us common ground. We are instant friends with a new realm of people because they have some connection to a baby or just miss the days when their kids were babies. It seems to be the only other thing aside from tragedy that pulls us to each other. Our first child helped fix a rift between us and our neighbors. Having children has brought me into some of the most meaningful relationships I've ever had simply because of the commonality of ages and stages. Somehow, babes open the invisible door that exists between us and the rest of humanity. Do you think God did that on purpose? Did He know that eventually we would be come such a detached society and gave us one common thing most people can't resist? I wouldn't put it past Him...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: Glory and the Return of All Things Lost

Rewind and Review: Blessing and Gratitude

Living in a land that chose you