Major Manipulation or Divine Intervention?

It was a battle of the wills between one stubborn 3 year old and one frustrated mom.
It ended with BigBoy #2 in his bed at 6pm (probably the safest place for him at that point!).
As I was leaving the room he screamed,

"MOM I WANT TO PRAY!"

What to do?
It was an obvious attempt at keeping me in the room.
Would it just reinforce his stubborness, his manipulating endeavors?
But he wanted to pray.

So we did.
We prayed about his attitude.
We prayed about Mom's attitude.
We prayed about disobedience and hurtful behaviors.

He calmed down.
I calmed down.
I told him he had to stay in his room and he obeyed.


As I was wrestling with whether I had done the right thing in giving into him a friend brought up this point:
When BigBoy #2 was at his most upset he chose to "manipulate" with prayer.
Even if his intention was to keep me in the room and get his way, God is bigger than that.
Our prayers were heard.
And maybe, later on, when life feels out of control, BigBoy #2 will choose the power of prayer.
That is certainly this Mom's hope...

Comments

  1. This particular post hits close to my home! And that is exactly what Josh and I hope....that Adian & Baylen will take their days worries, anger or whatever they are thinking to the Lord. But I (and I'm sure after 3 of your own you do to!) do know that kids are VERY smart and they will do anything for a few more minutes with mom and dad at bedtime.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: Glory and the Return of All Things Lost

Rewind and Review: Blessing and Gratitude

Living in a land that chose you