The Art of Escape
I've been a reader my whole life.
We didn't have a TV in our house until I was a tween.
Reading was strongly encouraged to combat boredom.
Lucky for Mom, my sisters and I (in particular) loved to read.
Fast foreward a couple decades and my love of reading is still present.
My reason for reading is different.
I read to escape.
I love to delve into the life of someone else.
Feel the love, pain, joy, heartache, expectation.
I read mostly "feel-good" books, though.
Real life has enough sad endings for me.
If I'm reading a story, it better end well.
As I've been talking to some of my nurse-friends lately about reading I realized that it's an escape route for them as well.
Many care providers have the joy and struggle of working with people who are in crisis.
Life is not as they intended.
Sometimes we can only do so much to fix it.
When my head hits the pillow at night I can't always turn off the feelings I've seen or experienced at work.
Reading takes me out of my head and keeps me somewhere else until I fall asleep.
Sometimes prayer and reading are the only things that can clear my head.
As a side note, I watch movies for the same reason.
Kids in bed, house is quiet and semi-clean, I love to sit and watch a good show...until I fall asleep 10 minutes into it.
Since I usually wake up before the ending it's always a thrill to see the loose ends tied and everybody happy.
The other night we sat down to watch Life as We Know It.
It's a story about 2 people that hate each other who end up having to raise a child together because their friends died.
I thought it might be a good love story but didn't make it past the 20 minute mark at which time they are both looking at the crying baby trying to figure out why she was crying.
We decided to turn it off since we'd just spent a good part of the evening doing the same thing with our baby.
Why would we want to "relax" to that??
We turned on Bones instead.
Bri reads to learn, I read to escape.
Why do you read?
We didn't have a TV in our house until I was a tween.
Reading was strongly encouraged to combat boredom.
Lucky for Mom, my sisters and I (in particular) loved to read.
Fast foreward a couple decades and my love of reading is still present.
My reason for reading is different.
I read to escape.
I love to delve into the life of someone else.
Feel the love, pain, joy, heartache, expectation.
I read mostly "feel-good" books, though.
Real life has enough sad endings for me.
If I'm reading a story, it better end well.
As I've been talking to some of my nurse-friends lately about reading I realized that it's an escape route for them as well.
Many care providers have the joy and struggle of working with people who are in crisis.
Life is not as they intended.
Sometimes we can only do so much to fix it.
When my head hits the pillow at night I can't always turn off the feelings I've seen or experienced at work.
Reading takes me out of my head and keeps me somewhere else until I fall asleep.
Sometimes prayer and reading are the only things that can clear my head.
Kids in bed, house is quiet and semi-clean, I love to sit and watch a good show...until I fall asleep 10 minutes into it.
Since I usually wake up before the ending it's always a thrill to see the loose ends tied and everybody happy.
The other night we sat down to watch Life as We Know It.
It's a story about 2 people that hate each other who end up having to raise a child together because their friends died.
I thought it might be a good love story but didn't make it past the 20 minute mark at which time they are both looking at the crying baby trying to figure out why she was crying.
We decided to turn it off since we'd just spent a good part of the evening doing the same thing with our baby.
Why would we want to "relax" to that??
We turned on Bones instead.
Bri reads to learn, I read to escape.
Why do you read?

I read to escape...have you read "The Help"? You should!
ReplyDeleteI read to escape. I'm currently reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (?sp). Fantastic; set in 1700s Scottland. I would highly recommend it!
ReplyDeleteI read to learn and relax. I am currently reading 2 books. (weird, I know) The first one is The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. I am almost done with that one. The second is Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman. I just started that one and it is great all ready! I have a feeling this one is a tear jerker! Have you read that one yet? I was just wondering what you thought of it. For myself...I am trying to "appreciate" my kids more. I LOVE them to death but as days go on....I tend to find myself rushing. Kind weird too...but I hope you know what I mean. Good article again!
ReplyDeleteSuz, I just downloaded The Help, can't wait to read it! Becky, I read the Outlander series about a year ago. Took me about a year to read but I got so sucked in! I a little graphic at times but I was sad when I finished the last book. Mandi, I haven't read Choosing to see but I will check it out! I hear you, I'm always having to slow down and consciously enjoy my kids...easy to rush through the days between things that need to get done and you want to get done.
ReplyDelete