Anybody seen our intimacy?

Ten years ago I married the man I loved more than anyone.
Ten years later, I love him more than I could have fathomed possible on our wedding day.
The love I felt then, I have come to discover, was only a drop in the bucket.
Experiencing life together brings about an intimacy that can't be fabricated.




Ten years later we have three kids 5 years old and younger.
Our conversations are interrupted constantly.
Our time is not ours.
Our laps are not ours.
Even my boobs are not ours.
That does a little number on the intimacy factor.

As we were discussing this feeling of disconnect the only conclusion I came to is:

We need more babysitters!

I heard a sermon a few years ago on keeping a marriage strong and the pastor said this:
Your marriage needs one night a week, one weekend a month, one week a year alone together.
Sound logistically challenging?
It's tough to find the time and money and willing personnel to cover childcare for that amount of time.

We're going to start small.
Get a sitter more frequently.
Plan a trip (we are going away for a weekend at the end of April for a graduation- no kid!).
Budget accordingly.
Make the most of our few evenings together.
Keep working on couch time (coffee in the morning for just Dad and Mom...no kids allowed!).
Pray together and continue to ask God to bring us together in all we do instead of fostering any seeds that keep our hearts from each other.
Get "intimate" more than once a week!

Do you find this a challenge in your relationship?
How do you keep your marriage from becoming stagnant?

Comments

  1. I love your honesty, because let's face it, it is an issue for most married couples!
    I have to say it has gotten much better for us, now that the kids are becoming more independent. Bedtime isn't such struggle and they actually stay in their beds, most of the time. ;)
    I will be praying for you in this season. Please know the light is shining VERY bright at the end of the tunnel and will be worth the work getting there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: Glory and the Return of All Things Lost

Rewind and Review: Blessing and Gratitude

Living in a land that chose you