A day of Love and Red #40
I enjoy special days.
It's fun to get a few trinkets for the kids and wish everyone a happy {fill in the blank} day.
Sometimes we just need something to celebrate, especially at this point of winter.
I do, however, struggle with every special day for one reason.
Red #40.
The food coloring.
The food coloring that's in EVERYTHING.
The food coloring that makes my childrenpossessed crazy.
Several years ago we discovered that BigBoy #1 doesn't tolerate artificial colors and flavors all that well.
Turns out not every child spins around in circles or could run a marathon after eating a couple skittles.
We didn't know, he was our first child.
My sister-in-law turned us on to this idea as she was trying the "all natural" diet with her youngest for similar reason.
And it worked!
As time has gone by, we've been able to let the boys eat artificial colors and flavors occasionally.
We had to work up to that point, the first several months required strict abstinence.
The difference in his behavior was remarkable and worth the hassle of finding "more natural" options.
Trader Joes was a great resource because they are cheaper and most foods/snacks don't have all that junk in them.
Luckily for us we didn't have any allergies to deal with so we had quite a few options.
Anyways, that's a long-winded explanation for why today, I was ready togive my kids away send my kids to bed at 5pm.
It was their V-day celebration at preschool which meant lots of red suckers, red candies and decorated cookies w/red sugar (double whammy!).
By this afternoon they were in rough shape.
They didn't like each other.
They didn't like me.
I don't even think they like themselves some of the time.
I want to blame Red #40
and Yellow #5
and Blue #1 (which is in marshmallows- now why is it necessary to have color in white marshmallows??).
But it comes back to me in the end.
I allowed it.
I shouldn't have.
We all paid for it.
And I won't forget that little lesson very quickly.
It's fun to get a few trinkets for the kids and wish everyone a happy {fill in the blank} day.
Sometimes we just need something to celebrate, especially at this point of winter.
I do, however, struggle with every special day for one reason.
Red #40.
The food coloring.
The food coloring that's in EVERYTHING.
The food coloring that makes my children
Several years ago we discovered that BigBoy #1 doesn't tolerate artificial colors and flavors all that well.
Turns out not every child spins around in circles or could run a marathon after eating a couple skittles.
We didn't know, he was our first child.
My sister-in-law turned us on to this idea as she was trying the "all natural" diet with her youngest for similar reason.
And it worked!
As time has gone by, we've been able to let the boys eat artificial colors and flavors occasionally.
We had to work up to that point, the first several months required strict abstinence.
The difference in his behavior was remarkable and worth the hassle of finding "more natural" options.
Trader Joes was a great resource because they are cheaper and most foods/snacks don't have all that junk in them.
Luckily for us we didn't have any allergies to deal with so we had quite a few options.
Anyways, that's a long-winded explanation for why today, I was ready to
It was their V-day celebration at preschool which meant lots of red suckers, red candies and decorated cookies w/red sugar (double whammy!).
By this afternoon they were in rough shape.
They didn't like each other.
They didn't like me.
I don't even think they like themselves some of the time.
I want to blame Red #40
and Yellow #5
and Blue #1 (which is in marshmallows- now why is it necessary to have color in white marshmallows??).
But it comes back to me in the end.
I allowed it.
I shouldn't have.
We all paid for it.
And I won't forget that little lesson very quickly.

Oh..I feel so bad for you Tember!! That was a tough lesson learned ha? With all the "garbage" food that comes through our house I would just love to throw it ALL! I feel your pain. Our son is so active the way it is and all's it takes for him is to look at a piece of candy and he is off the wall. Some mom's tell me that if I just let him have it whenever HE wants it...he would not ask me for it like....everyday. ya right ha! I wish you luck on your next go-around. :)
ReplyDeleteNRILOL... Someday, you can show up at Big Boy 1 and 2's house with a big bag of Skittles. Then, take their little darlings out for fast food at one of those germ infested playlands and stop at Knoke's candy store on the way home for some "you kids have been so good" treats. After 2-3 hours of being told how awesome you are, you can return the spoiled little buggers back to mom and dad for sweet payback. It's really quite satisfying... so I've been told. BTW (by the way) I have my coat pockets filled with Valentine candy. Don't worry, I picked out all the red ones. You may have to warm up that chapel on wheels soon.
ReplyDeleteLYHNRID. (Love you honey. No, really I do!)