The Best-Laid Plans

Today is the day.
WAS the day.
The long-awaited ornery-ectomy was to take place for BigBoy #2.
This morning he needed it, bad.
The fighting, crying and yelling that began as soon as the boys woke just about did me in.
But today was going to be the beginning of the end of sickness for BigBoy #2.
Out with the tonsils and adenoids, in with the happy, feeling good boy.

Those plans were changed.
By yogurt.
3 ounces of Dannon Smoothie Strawberry Burst yogurt.

BigBoy #2 is a big breakfast eater so I knew it would be a challenge to keep him from eating this morning.
He was allowed popsicles and jello, though, so I thought that would be a delight to any little 3 year old.
Popsicles for breakfast!!
He wanted yogurt.
I said no.
He said yes.
Yada yada.

I won the battle for a while.
I intercepted an almost intereference when I found him disobediently grabbing a yogurt out of the fridge.
We had done our best to explain why this was not an option for him.
And he gets popsicles for breakfast, a 3 year old's dream come true- right?
This should be easy.

About 9 am he comes up and tries to grab a yogurt.
For his pocket, he says.
I notice the yogurt mustache on his top lip.
Ask him if he had eaten yogurt.
He said yes.
I asked him why.
He said because.
I smelled his breath.
Strawberry.
I start to cry.
He looks confused and says he's sorry.
I send him to get Daddy while I call the pre-op nurse.

3 ounces of yogurt five hours before surgery = no surgery.

Now I realize it's not the end of the world but for about an hour, it was.
I had planned for this for months.
Been looking forward to getting it over with, starting a new chapter.
Knowing if my 3 year old is feeling miserable all the time or if its a behavior we need to work on.

In the end, I know God is big.
He's in this.
Whether there's a good reason or not.
I'm trying to be trusting.
Looking to Him instead of clinging to my plans, my fix.
Surgery is rescheduled for the end of March.
Until then, I'll look to Him to see us through.
Thank you for all the prayers offered during this time.
I appreciate each one of you so much!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: Glory and the Return of All Things Lost

Rewind and Review: Blessing and Gratitude

Living in a land that chose you