The Drive-By
On our way home from soccer practice, I caught a glimpse of my past that gave me pause.
Driving through town we pass our old house.
It's right on the main drag and we can't get home without driving by.
For the first year after selling, I looked at that house every single time passed it.
It was the home that provided the backdrop for the first 12 years of marriage.
We celebrated new jobs, college graduation (mine), brought home 3 babies to that sweet little 900 square foot slice of heaven.
From the arched doorways to the crowned ceiling, plaster walls and phone cutouts, old hardwood floors tucked beneath nasty carpeting...not a bit of that place was untouched by our family.
Tears, sweat, baby puke, big kid puke and TONS of slimy fingers.
The current homeowner was in the bay window, washing it as the evening sun shone in.
I was transported back in time to the many many times I had washed that window as the western sun shown fiercely, highlighting every finger print, mouth print, and any other kind of print three kids under the age of 5 can make.
My mind's eye could see the dust that always shown in the sunlight, the layer of particles on the floor, illuminated as well.
I remembered feeling like I could never keep up.
I recalled getting little sleep, busy bodies jumping off of every surface, someone always tugging at me.
I also was reminded of the absolute beauty of those wonder years.
The discoveries, the love, the many little victories each day held from finally being potty-trained to learning how to ride a bike with just two wheels.
I pictured Caleb in the back yard, buck naked, peeing on everything with a golden grin on his face.
Sam jumping in a pile of leaves.
Claire splashing her brothers in the kiddie pool that was much too small for all three of them.
I also realized that I don't look at that house every time I pass it anymore.
It's no longer our home.
We are at home here, with more room to roam, a pond full of the noisiest frogs, next to houses full of beautiful neighbors.
The sun now shines on my dust in the morning, and you'll still find me trying to erase some of the fingerprints off the appliances.
My windows don't get as smudgie anymore, and I don't really miss that. ;)
I did so love when my kids were little and their world was us.
But oh to watch them laugh with their friends, play sports with some skill and pluck at the piano...those are the memories in the making right now.
Some things change, but this remains: the love of a family and the joy God intended for us to bring each other.
Whether it's in a precious little white starter house, or a green "grown-up" house with a pond and a couple acres, life together is something I don't take for granted (especially in my profession).
These darling little video clips are little gifts I discovered on an old camera and I couldn't help but share, even if just for me.
Driving through town we pass our old house.
It's right on the main drag and we can't get home without driving by.
For the first year after selling, I looked at that house every single time passed it.
It was the home that provided the backdrop for the first 12 years of marriage.
We celebrated new jobs, college graduation (mine), brought home 3 babies to that sweet little 900 square foot slice of heaven.
From the arched doorways to the crowned ceiling, plaster walls and phone cutouts, old hardwood floors tucked beneath nasty carpeting...not a bit of that place was untouched by our family.
Tears, sweat, baby puke, big kid puke and TONS of slimy fingers.
The current homeowner was in the bay window, washing it as the evening sun shone in.
I was transported back in time to the many many times I had washed that window as the western sun shown fiercely, highlighting every finger print, mouth print, and any other kind of print three kids under the age of 5 can make.
My mind's eye could see the dust that always shown in the sunlight, the layer of particles on the floor, illuminated as well.
I remembered feeling like I could never keep up.
I recalled getting little sleep, busy bodies jumping off of every surface, someone always tugging at me.
I also was reminded of the absolute beauty of those wonder years.
The discoveries, the love, the many little victories each day held from finally being potty-trained to learning how to ride a bike with just two wheels.
I pictured Caleb in the back yard, buck naked, peeing on everything with a golden grin on his face.
Sam jumping in a pile of leaves.
Claire splashing her brothers in the kiddie pool that was much too small for all three of them.
I also realized that I don't look at that house every time I pass it anymore.
It's no longer our home.
We are at home here, with more room to roam, a pond full of the noisiest frogs, next to houses full of beautiful neighbors.
The sun now shines on my dust in the morning, and you'll still find me trying to erase some of the fingerprints off the appliances.
My windows don't get as smudgie anymore, and I don't really miss that. ;)
I did so love when my kids were little and their world was us.
But oh to watch them laugh with their friends, play sports with some skill and pluck at the piano...those are the memories in the making right now.
Some things change, but this remains: the love of a family and the joy God intended for us to bring each other.
Whether it's in a precious little white starter house, or a green "grown-up" house with a pond and a couple acres, life together is something I don't take for granted (especially in my profession).
These darling little video clips are little gifts I discovered on an old camera and I couldn't help but share, even if just for me.
Comments
Post a Comment