1 2 3 Graveyard!

For the better part of the last 7 years, over half our marriage and all of our parenting years, Brian has worked the evening shift.
This particular shift is some 8 hour variation of 3pm to 11pm (3:30pm-midnight, etc.).
As a nurse, I'm not stranger to shift work, and to be quite honest, this schedule didn't bother me too much.
...Until lately.
Slowly over the last couple years I have tired of doing the bedtime routine alone with 3 little ones.
I miss being a family when something fun comes up on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday evening.

Now before I make it sound like this is all hardship for me and peachy-keen for Bri I will explain what he has been missing out on all these years.
Family meals, impromptu picnics, grabbing a beer with the guys, Bible studies or small groups, and the list goes one.
And he's had to listen to me complain.
Something I'm not proud of....

Enter the school year of 2011.
BigBoy #1 is a kindergartener.
Our first born is off to school, every day, all day (the only option in our school district).
First few months went well.
Last few months, not so well.
It finally caught up with all of us AND BigBoy #1 doesn't see Dad during the week and Dad doesn't see him.
Weekends become a precious commodity but you can't cram 5 days worth of loving and quality time into 48 short hours.

After months of conversations and prayers, a temporary opening came up on 3rd shift.
Graveyard...
Nights...
11pm-7am.
The sleepless shift.

And he took it.
For us.

There is some excitement in having Daddy home in the evenings and a little apprehension with trying to get the best sleep during the day with a few noisy kids around.
But we're thrilled at the chance to take a stab at it!

Comments

  1. Oh wow! The things our husbands do to provide for families. Thankfully I have never had to deal with the crazy night schedules for work. I wish your family the best in this change. It is going to be great having him for supper! Oh, the conversations at the supper table! It's my favorite time of the day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: Glory and the Return of All Things Lost

Rewind and Review: Blessing and Gratitude

Living in a land that chose you