I wonder if it would be easier to BUILD a Bridge?

I joined a club a few weeks ago.
A Bridge club.
We meet every Tuesday night from 6:30-9 p.m.
I love playing games and jumped at the chance to have a night away from my delightful, yet exhausting children.
So when my father-in-law offered to watch the kids so I could go learn Bridge from his mom (Grandma) I jumped up and down and said YESSSS!!! :)

Do you know anything about the game of Bridge?
I didn't know a darn thing.
We've been playing for 4 weeks now and I can honestly say I know a little more than "not a darn thing".
It's a deliciously complicated game.
There's bidding, trump, conventions, tricks, game, book...


Grandma is an excellent teacher and has been patient with her pupils.
I'm not the only beginner in this club.
My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are also part of the bridge club and they've never played before either.
You have to have 4 people to play the game so that rounds out our little group.
And because we're pretty serious about our game, Auntie Patti came last night to observe/learn so she could "sub" for one of us if we have a Bridge Club Night conflict.

Grandma has been playing for YEARS and I don't think we are any bit of a challenge to her but I think it's fun to just play the game, eat a few snacks, sip something hot and hang out together.
She gave us a book on how to play Bridge by "the man" of Bridge, Charles Goren, as a Christmas present.
I'm studying up so one of these weeks I won't come in last place!
I'm pretty sure I know why I keep losing.
A very important part of Bridge is counting cards.
Grandma is a whiz at it!
She remembers EVERY card that's been played.
Several times a game she'll mention that "if you're counting cards you'll remember that there's only one out there of that suit" or something to that effect.
And the key word there is IF.
I'm still trying to figure out what to play from my hand, let alone remember what others played.
I think I'm going to scour the internet for tips on card-counting...

Oh, and Great-Grandpa and Claire have formed their own little club that takes place on Tuesday nights also.
It's called the Snooze Club. :)
Aren't they sweet?!

Comments

  1. I love our Bridge Club! What a cute posting.
    I think Grandpa has his own ways of enjoying Bridge Club too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: Glory and the Return of All Things Lost

Rewind and Review: Blessing and Gratitude

Living in a land that chose you