My Christmas Wish
Vacation days are a hot commodity around here.
Bri only gets ten days of vacation (and 2 personal days) a year.
His company doesn't allow him time off without pay.
His attendance is monitored.
Our budget doesn't allow many "mental health" days.
Much planning goes into the cashing in of those beloved free days.
Deer hunting is a must so a day or two for that.
Occassionally a holiday requires a vacation day for travel.
October is so beautiful, a vacation day or two so he can enjoy a fall evening.
And so on...
Each day is maximized.
Nice weather: fish in the morning and again in the late day.
It's great to have no concern for time.
It's a vacation day.
Make it count.
Now, Bri is great about giving up some of his days for us.
He takes some of his time just to be a family.
And to give me a hand on a particularily difficult day.
But there's something quite sacred about those vacation days.
I've never worked a 9-5, 5 days a week job.
I've worked 12 hour shifts.
I've worked overnights.
Holidays.
Weekends.
BUT seldom have I worked more than three days in a row (not since I was a new grad).
Whenever the discussion arises about vacation days, this fact is usually mentioned.
I totally agree I have no idea what it's like to work those hours.
Without being able to give away a shift, change my hours, etc.
So I don't argue much about those vacation days.
However, I have noticed lately that I would like to have a couple vacation days in my "bank".
Could really BENEFIT from it.
I think 2 would suffice for the year.
I don't think Bri gets much more than 2 days that are soley his (although we're not really into even-steven).
When he does take a day, he comes back so refreshed.
The world is his playground!
The fish may bite, may not.
Doesn't matter, he has all day.
I want all day.
I want to wake up on a Saturday morning and cash in a vacation day.
I'd go back to sleep.
Check the weather when I wake.
What do you know?
It's perfect weather for shopping!
Grab my purse, kiss my man goodbye, tell the kids to be good and head out for the day.
If the "fish" aren't biting good at one mall, I'll hit another.
Stop for lunch with a friend.
Dessert.
Coffee (or tea in my case).
Shop.
Come home refreshed just in time to kiss the kids goodnight and cuddle on the couch with my man.
Yep, all I want for Christmas is Vacation.
Bri only gets ten days of vacation (and 2 personal days) a year.
His company doesn't allow him time off without pay.
His attendance is monitored.
Our budget doesn't allow many "mental health" days.
Much planning goes into the cashing in of those beloved free days.
Deer hunting is a must so a day or two for that.
Occassionally a holiday requires a vacation day for travel.
October is so beautiful, a vacation day or two so he can enjoy a fall evening.
And so on...
Each day is maximized.
Nice weather: fish in the morning and again in the late day.
It's great to have no concern for time.
It's a vacation day.
Make it count.
Now, Bri is great about giving up some of his days for us.
He takes some of his time just to be a family.
And to give me a hand on a particularily difficult day.
But there's something quite sacred about those vacation days.
I've never worked a 9-5, 5 days a week job.
I've worked 12 hour shifts.
I've worked overnights.
Holidays.
Weekends.
BUT seldom have I worked more than three days in a row (not since I was a new grad).
Whenever the discussion arises about vacation days, this fact is usually mentioned.
I totally agree I have no idea what it's like to work those hours.
Without being able to give away a shift, change my hours, etc.
So I don't argue much about those vacation days.
However, I have noticed lately that I would like to have a couple vacation days in my "bank".
Could really BENEFIT from it.
I think 2 would suffice for the year.
I don't think Bri gets much more than 2 days that are soley his (although we're not really into even-steven).
When he does take a day, he comes back so refreshed.
The world is his playground!
The fish may bite, may not.
Doesn't matter, he has all day.
I want all day.
I want to wake up on a Saturday morning and cash in a vacation day.
I'd go back to sleep.
Check the weather when I wake.
What do you know?
It's perfect weather for shopping!
Grab my purse, kiss my man goodbye, tell the kids to be good and head out for the day.
If the "fish" aren't biting good at one mall, I'll hit another.
Stop for lunch with a friend.
Dessert.
Coffee (or tea in my case).
Shop.
Come home refreshed just in time to kiss the kids goodnight and cuddle on the couch with my man.
Yep, all I want for Christmas is Vacation.


Comments
Post a Comment