Ain't Nobody Got Time for That {Memories of a pukier time, Part 1}

A good friend is famous for making the statement "Ain't Nobody Got Time for That."
You can find it on t-shirts and coffee mugs and memes.
The truth of that was evident when the stomach flu hit our house with a vengeance.
One by one the kids all succumbed, a couple days apart.
The house was cleaned, sheets laundered, Lysol and bleach fumes filled the air.
Never before have all three taken turns at this particular illness but it seemed it was going to stop there.
Until this mama got up on Monday morning and realized that it was going to be a no-good, very bad day.
Off to school they went, back to bed for me.
To work went my man for his afternoon shift and shortly after the bus arrived with our 3 delightful children.
Had they already been gone for 8 hours??
In the first 2 minutes of trying to parent from my sick bed I realized, ain't nobody got time for this!



Why the empathetic sides of these now school-aged children have not developed well as of yet is beyond me.
A desperate text to grandparents and the worst 45 minutes of the day became a blur as I acceded in private once more to the misery of the illness.
They were gone for a few hours and I could be sick, no mom duties.
Ain't nobody got time for this.

As I tucked them into bed that night in a few minutes reprieve, I started telling the kids of the many months I had felt this very way...pregnancy.
Every.single.day.
For 9 months.
Times 3.

I think God must soften the edges our memories a bit because I don't remember those days quite so violently as I recall this last bout with the stomach flu.
The condition even has a fancy name: hyperemesis gravidarum.
In layman's terms, you puke up everything and are nauseous all the time.
Water comes back up cold, nothing stays down.
Months of IVs, central lines, IV fluids and nutrition, medications and 24/7 nausea for 9 months tell the real story.
I know I felt awful, beyond awful.
I missed months of work, my only relief was to sit in a small dark room with no sound, no movement.
Dark and quiet were easier with the first pregnancy, much tougher in the 2nd and 3rd with little ones running around.
I was not much of a wife or mother, friend or neighbor in those months.
Surrounding me were amazing people who came to my rescue when they could, and a husband who filled every hole I left unplugged.

For the sake of my kids, I would like to spend time writing down the experiences.
I want them to know how very worth it they were and the road that was traveled.
It happened to me with the first child, and I chose it again with our 2nd and 3rd.
You don't have to follow along but the next few posts will catalog the experience because for our three children, I did have time for that. ❤❤❤

But back to the present...isn't it hard being a mom and being sick??
Ain't Nobody Got Time for That!
Here's to a healthy February ! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: Glory and the Return of All Things Lost

Rewind and Review: Blessing and Gratitude

Living in a land that chose you