Be patient, Mama, you will get YOU back
It feels a lot like emerging from under water to capture a deep breath of air before the next wave hits.
Expecting to go back under quickly, you're surprised to find that you actually stay above the surface.
Not just for a second, but for a minute, or two.
An hour even.
This is the evolution of motherhood as you go from diapering, feeding and wiping everything in view to coaching, refereeing and teaching older children.
This is the beginning of you returning to YOU.
The you that married that man you couldn't stand being apart from.
The you that danced in the rain (and didn't care if your glasses got wet and your hair looks awful).
The you that was spontaneous and actually had hobbies.
The you that didn't mind buying a gift, decorating for a holiday.
The you that gets to take a deep breath without being smothered by one of those delightfully clingy children you love dearly but just need to not to touch you...just for a minute??
Ah, the wonder of coming up from the deep that is those years of babies and toddlers.
It's real, it's wonderful and it calms all the fears I've felt in the last 10 years.
What if I'm not me anymore after this?
Did I really give up a core part of me?
Why am I so obsessed with preventing messes?
Will my husband still love me even if this is the way I am forever?
Why don't I WANT to do the things I used to?
If you're a mom too, you know motherhood is an unparalleled gift.
It truly was something I longed for, I could not wait to hold MY OWN babe and be his mom!
Oh, I LOVED feeding, diapering, waking during the night (I didn't mind that MOST of the time), watching for the first smile, first step, first word.
I really did!
But in God's grace, I am discovering how the me He made me to be IS STILL ME ten years later.
Almost as if parts of me went into hibernation for a time.
And I am learning again what it is to be ME.
You will too, just hang in there a little longer.
Don't get me wrong, as I mention here, my kids can just drive me NUTS!
The difference is I am {typically} less overwhelmed by the extras now that they are 5,8 and 10.
I'm enjoying the snow with my kids, being OK with having to make Valentines Day boxes, doing acronyms and buying decorations.
There are moments in the day that I'm not being hung on but I'm still definitely needed.
My kids think I'm funny (kinda), know they are loved, and are generally doing well.
I pray God's joy and strength for you sweet mamas who have precious years of sleepless nights, feeding, diapering, spanking (if you do so), running after little ones, sloppy kisses and more "hugs" than you might need.
It's a beautiful time of life but in those moments when you're just not sure...
You will get YOU back!
Expecting to go back under quickly, you're surprised to find that you actually stay above the surface.
Not just for a second, but for a minute, or two.
An hour even.
This is the evolution of motherhood as you go from diapering, feeding and wiping everything in view to coaching, refereeing and teaching older children.
This is the beginning of you returning to YOU.
The you that married that man you couldn't stand being apart from.
The you that danced in the rain (and didn't care if your glasses got wet and your hair looks awful).
The you that was spontaneous and actually had hobbies.
The you that didn't mind buying a gift, decorating for a holiday.
The you that gets to take a deep breath without being smothered by one of those delightfully clingy children you love dearly but just need to not to touch you...just for a minute??
Ah, the wonder of coming up from the deep that is those years of babies and toddlers.
It's real, it's wonderful and it calms all the fears I've felt in the last 10 years.
What if I'm not me anymore after this?
Did I really give up a core part of me?
Why am I so obsessed with preventing messes?
Will my husband still love me even if this is the way I am forever?
Why don't I WANT to do the things I used to?
If you're a mom too, you know motherhood is an unparalleled gift.
It truly was something I longed for, I could not wait to hold MY OWN babe and be his mom!
Oh, I LOVED feeding, diapering, waking during the night (I didn't mind that MOST of the time), watching for the first smile, first step, first word.
I really did!
But in God's grace, I am discovering how the me He made me to be IS STILL ME ten years later.
Almost as if parts of me went into hibernation for a time.
And I am learning again what it is to be ME.
You will too, just hang in there a little longer.
Don't get me wrong, as I mention here, my kids can just drive me NUTS!
The difference is I am {typically} less overwhelmed by the extras now that they are 5,8 and 10.
I'm enjoying the snow with my kids, being OK with having to make Valentines Day boxes, doing acronyms and buying decorations.
There are moments in the day that I'm not being hung on but I'm still definitely needed.
My kids think I'm funny (kinda), know they are loved, and are generally doing well.
I pray God's joy and strength for you sweet mamas who have precious years of sleepless nights, feeding, diapering, spanking (if you do so), running after little ones, sloppy kisses and more "hugs" than you might need.
It's a beautiful time of life but in those moments when you're just not sure...
You will get YOU back!


Comments
Post a Comment