Waiting for Sights Unseen
I was 6 years old when I first sat in an optometrist's chair, eager for the glasses that were in my near future.
I even fudged a little and said I couldn't see as well as I could just to be sure I would get them!
The glasses I chose were as unique as I felt I was, with the bows at the bottom instead of the top.
My grandpa always joked that I had my glasses on upside down.
At 12 my eyes were quite bad with an astigmatism to boot.
Unable to see a darn thing without glasses, my folks had mercy on my and I got contacts.
Had to do gas permeables because of the astigmatism.
The following many years were full of popping those things in and out, cleaning them in my mouth in moments of desperation, pulling over on the side of the road to scrounge for one that exited my eye without my permission.
Then I became a nurse working night shift and the contacts no longer worked well.
Dry and tired eyes were the perfect combination to end the contact era.
The following 13 years have been experienced with glasses only.
With a prescription of -9 and that stinkin' astigmatism, I not able to see much.
My kids have never known me without glasses and are not allowed to even come close to them.
If my glasses fall on the floor I can't see to find them.
I fear losing them when near water.
I always keep an extra pair on me in case something takes them out because without them, I.CANNOT.SEE.A.THING.
But today that all ends.
I'm getting LASIK, TODAY!!
Eager anticipation and hesitant excitement can begin to describe how I'm feeling.
Nervous but ready to experience of as close to a miracle as I may experience.
To walk in not able to see and to come out seeing.
Makes me teary with joy imagining it.
The countdown has been on all week:
Just 5 more sleeps of waiting until the last minute to take off my glasses and make sure I put them where I can feel them in the morning.
Just 4 more makeup applications with my nose touching the mirror so I can see what I'm doing.
Just 3 more showers until I can see to shave my legs.
Just 2 more days until I can get squished in a hug by my husband and not have my glasses get in the way.
Just 1 more visit to the neighbors wearing my prescription sunglasses and feeling like a ROCKSTAR because I have to leave them on in the house to see.
Just ZERO more days...EEK!!
All the prep is done, the 4 times daily eye drops, the Omega 3 oils, the hot packs to the eyes for a week.
Ridiculously expensive eye drops have been picked up for the post-op period.
My makeup is off, I'm showered, sans deodorant, hairspray, perfume.
Au naturale today, which I think is kind of mean since I'll be seeing ME for the first time in years without glasses but I won't complain.
So here's to a life-changing day!
Prayers for smooth sailing and perfect sight much appreciated.
And next time you see me without my glasses, I'll be seeing you, too!!
(I'm giddy!!!)
I even fudged a little and said I couldn't see as well as I could just to be sure I would get them!
The glasses I chose were as unique as I felt I was, with the bows at the bottom instead of the top.
My grandpa always joked that I had my glasses on upside down.
| Yowzers |
At 12 my eyes were quite bad with an astigmatism to boot.
Unable to see a darn thing without glasses, my folks had mercy on my and I got contacts.
Had to do gas permeables because of the astigmatism.
The following many years were full of popping those things in and out, cleaning them in my mouth in moments of desperation, pulling over on the side of the road to scrounge for one that exited my eye without my permission.
| Oh yes, choker and all! |
Dry and tired eyes were the perfect combination to end the contact era.
The following 13 years have been experienced with glasses only.
With a prescription of -9 and that stinkin' astigmatism, I not able to see much.
My kids have never known me without glasses and are not allowed to even come close to them.
If my glasses fall on the floor I can't see to find them.
I fear losing them when near water.
I always keep an extra pair on me in case something takes them out because without them, I.CANNOT.SEE.A.THING.
But today that all ends.
I'm getting LASIK, TODAY!!
Eager anticipation and hesitant excitement can begin to describe how I'm feeling.
Nervous but ready to experience of as close to a miracle as I may experience.
Makes me teary with joy imagining it.
The countdown has been on all week:
Just 5 more sleeps of waiting until the last minute to take off my glasses and make sure I put them where I can feel them in the morning.
Just 4 more makeup applications with my nose touching the mirror so I can see what I'm doing.
Just 3 more showers until I can see to shave my legs.
Just 2 more days until I can get squished in a hug by my husband and not have my glasses get in the way.
Just 1 more visit to the neighbors wearing my prescription sunglasses and feeling like a ROCKSTAR because I have to leave them on in the house to see.
Just ZERO more days...EEK!!
All the prep is done, the 4 times daily eye drops, the Omega 3 oils, the hot packs to the eyes for a week.
Ridiculously expensive eye drops have been picked up for the post-op period.
My makeup is off, I'm showered, sans deodorant, hairspray, perfume.
Au naturale today, which I think is kind of mean since I'll be seeing ME for the first time in years without glasses but I won't complain.
| Me and my contact-wearing beautiful big sis! |
So here's to a life-changing day!
Prayers for smooth sailing and perfect sight much appreciated.
And next time you see me without my glasses, I'll be seeing you, too!!
(I'm giddy!!!)
Exciting! Good luck! I would love to hear more about it. I have astigmatism as well and I always was under the impression that i couldn't get lasik. Post a review someday please... Heather
ReplyDeleteExcited for you Tember! I just went in and got new glasses yesterday! I never wear mine and my eyes are not too bad AND I was even thinking of switching to contacts BUT at my age, I'm hearing bifocals could be in the near future. The thought came to do Lasik but I fear I'm a bit of a chicken! Praying for you sweet cousin and excited to see you in a couple of weeks at the wedding and see you without your glasses!!! Love you!!!
ReplyDelete