You can pick your friends, you can pick your battles...

...but you can't pick your friend's battles.

If you're a parent you've seen other people who aren't parenting as well as you the same way you do.
Isn't it tempting to think you've got it together and they don't?
At least in that brief moment that your kid is NOT doing the naughty thing their's is doing?

I know I've touched on this before but in those years before parenting toddlers I had all the answers.
All.the.answers.
Ask my poor sister who had kids before me and she'll tell you it's true.

Here's what I know now: I don't have all the answers.
Ready for a shocker? Neither do you.

I mean that in the nicest way possible...

What is true of all parents is they pick their battles when it comes to raising and disciplining kids.
Some don't consciously pick them but you know by the behaviors you see what is tolerated or not tolerated.

Some people can't handle noisy kids so they shush all the time.
Can't deal with a picky eater so they battle over the supper table.
Won't stand for mouthiness so out comes the soap or hot sauce.
Better not be too rambunctious or you'll be sent to your room for time out.




I think that there are some extremely good and CONSISTENT parents out there that get the results they want from working hard with their kids.
I also think  it's true that we pick the battles we really care about or that are easiest to enforce!

You don't have a busy kid so it's easy to discipline them for the occasional rambunctiousness.
Your kid isn't naturally picky so enforcing the "we try everything and eat what's in front of you" rule isn't too tricky.
That child of yours wouldn't dare pipe up with a naughty word so you "don't tolerate any disrespect."

I know this is true of me...I am quick to pat myself on the back when I win battles and compare them to how other's aren't quite as good in that particular area.
I challenge you to remember before passing  judgment on parents around that they have to pick their own battles.
They might be different from the battles you picked.
They have a different kid with a different personality.
Different isn't bad, it's just different so stick to picking your own battles and I'll try stick to mine.

What battles do you fight with your kids?
We're big on respect and will fight that every time...
Food? That's a fight for another day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: Glory and the Return of All Things Lost

Rewind and Review: Blessing and Gratitude

Living in a land that chose you