Money Mutterings: Gift in the Giving

God has taken us on a pretty amazing financial journey in the last 5 years.
From debt reduction to saving for an emergency to building a house...we have learned much and are grateful God wouldn't let us be lazy in that area.

I touched on budgeting and frugality in my previous post but what I didn't mention is what God has put on our hearts in a big way this year: giving.
Does that make you cringe?
Lots of thoughts go through our minds when "giving" is on the table: I barely have enough as it is, everybody else has more than me and could give more, certainly others have enough, the church shouldn't need my money, I want to buy that cute purse instead, the last time I gave the person didn't use the money the way they should have, etc.

Over the past many months we have read or heard more and more about giving and it's stuck in my man's and my craw.
It just keeps coming up!
It's like God is telling us "I have something bigger for you than just the money you have or plan to have".
Is that something bigger more money, I don't know.
Do I hope it is?
I don't know.

What I'm learning about God is He LOVES to provide.
Whether that be in money, time, experiences, He loves to give to His children.
And our tight-fisted grip on "our" money gets in the way.

Pastor Jason Strand said it perfectly "God doesn't want something from you but for you."
Wouldn't it be great to not have money or the lack of money control so much of your life?

Being a good steward of what God has given us is our task, be that talents, money, time.
Giving gives us a glimpse of God's heart.
It makes us want Him more instead of things.
Keeps our hearts focused on the kingdom instead of our momentary happiness.

Oh and it's so fun!
Truly!
Have you ever given the perfect gift?
Wasn't it delightful to watch the reaction to that gift??

All these thoughts led to a decision to begin a little business.
My biggest goal in this business is to GIVE because I am learning that I have enough.
I want to give to those who have been called by God to step out in a particular direction but don't have ready funds.
I want to give to those who are struggling with an illness or a situation in life that has messed up their finances.
I want to give as God prompts.

I'm losing sleep over this, I'm so excited!
There's a "fire in my belly, a burning in my bones" as Jer. 20:9 says.

One last thought: we are all called to do something different.
The churning in my heart to give does not mean that you need to give more or differently than you are.
God places different passions in our hearts, listen to what He's telling you!
He does command us all to give because He knows it's so good for us but He doesn't want the same from each of us.
Apparently I needed a bigger kick in the butt on this since He's making a pretty big stink about it in my heart. ;)

Where are you holding onto too tightly?


*I will write about the business plan in a separate blog, didn't want to distract from the point of this post. :) 

Comments

  1. Great post! Excited to hear about what your business plan will be. Isn't it fun when God stirs thing up in us?! There is a book that totally rocked our world on the subject of money and giving. It is called Money, Possessions and Eternity by Randy Alcorn. It's a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to put that book on my list, Brenda! Thank you! I'll post the business stuff soon...it's not anything "original" but I think it'll be fun. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: Glory and the Return of All Things Lost

Rewind and Review: Blessing and Gratitude

Living in a land that chose you