The thing is, I have a thing

Every now and then I get to know someone well enough to find out about their "thing".

  • I'm just not a foot person
  • I'm not big on letting someone drink from my cup
  • I get so grossed out by (insert item here) I can hardly stand it
  • Just can't do it, that's not my thing
  • I have a thing about my house being a certain way
  • I only eat organic food
  • I am not a fast-food person
...and the list could go on and on.

Some people wear their "thing" on their sleeve.
It's the first thing you find out about them.
It's what sets them apart, makes them special.

As I've matured gotten older I have realized my having "thing"s can make other people's lives harder.
I'm noticing how inconvenient it is for others when I'm picky or particular.
That everything becomes about me and my "thing" and whether or not they can or should accomodate it.
What used to be cool in my self-obssessed brain I now see as an imposition on those I love.
Often my thing is just an excuse to act the way I want to, or to get my way, or be in control.

My new thing is to not have a thing.

What's your thing?
How does it work for you, what do you gain from it?
How does it affect those you love?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue: Glory and the Return of All Things Lost

Rewind and Review: Blessing and Gratitude

Living in a land that chose you